On February 12, 2021, Frankfurt Kurnit's Advertising Group is hosting a webinar, "Advertising & Consumer Reviews -- Properly Sourcing, Moderating, and Using Consumer Reviews." The webinar will be from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. ET.
Consumer reviews are an important source of information that consumers use when deciding what products and services to buy. Advertisers understand this, and as a result, consumer reviews have become an important part of the advertising ecosystem. As a result, regulators and others have asserted that the misuse or mischaracterization of consumer reviews can cause serious harm to consumers. In December, the FTC’s closing of its investigation into a consumer review moderation tool both signaled that the misuse of consumer reviews is still a top FTC priority and provided new guidance on best practices for moderating and hosting consumer reviews.
Jessica Carballo, Terri Seligman, and I will discuss the key issues you need to consider when sourcing and using consumer reviews, and will update you on the latest guidance from the FTC and NAD about how to moderate and host them. The specific topics to be covered will be:
- FTC Endorsement Guide requirements
- Soliciting consumer reviews
- Using reviews in advertising
- Using incentivized reviews and necessary disclosures
- Getting into trouble using fake reviews
- Developing claims based on consumer reviews and aggregated reviews
- The use (and abuse) of reviews on third party sites
- Properly hosting and moderating consumer reviews on your website
- Restrictions on prohibiting negative reviews
- Responding to reviews
- Tension between regulatory, self-regulatory, and legal standards
For more information, and to register, click here. We hope you will join us!