According to media reports, YouTube has suspended all advertising on Tommy Robinson's YouTube channel. Robinson is a far-right activist and a former leader of the English Defence League.
According to BuzzFeed news, YouTube said that, "We have suspended ads on Tommy Robinson’s YouTube channel as it breaches our advertising policies." Apparently, YouTube took this action because it determined that his videos included "hate speech or content that promotes or incites violence."
YouTube's guidelines outline various categories of content that it says are not appropriate for the placement of advertising. They include:
- Controversial issues and sensitive events;
- Drugs and dangerous products and substances;
- Harmful or dangerous acts;
- Hateful content;
- Inappropriate language;
- Inappropriate use of family entertainment characters;
- Incendiary and demeaning content;
- Sexually suggestive content; and
By suspending advertising on Robinson's channel, it means that he loses the ability to earn advertising revenue when people view his videos.